It turns out that for some reason mkreiserfs only allocated 60G on my 120G
Raid array. I rebooted on my 1.4 LiveCD and attempted to debug_reiserfs my
array, but wound up getting a screen full of I/O errors on one of my drives
(the first one of the array). I suspect it's not actually the drive, but the
driver that's at fault.

In any case, I'm completely fed up with the Promise driver and the ataraid
functionality (or lack thereof) in the kernel. hdparm can't read the array,
mkreiserfs can't seem to make use of more than one drive's worth of space,
etc. It's a disaster. After spending weeks of calendar time and dozens of
hours trying to get it all to work, I'm backing off.

I think I can tell the TX4 RAID card to not bother with an array and just
run the 4 drives as independent, normal drives. Hopefully that will allow
the kernel to better deal with them. Then, I'll attempt to use evms to
cobble them together into a software RAID 5 configuration.

My only regret is that I'll no longer be using the RAID card to its full
extent. However, I've also read some interesting opinions that talk about
how a low-end RAID card (such as the tx4) can be a bottleneck on higher-end
systems. Mine's a dual-mp 1.4Ghz (1600+) configuration. Such opinions say
that on such a multi-processor, relatively fast system software RAID can
actually be *faster* than relying on a card such as the tx4. I hope that's
true!

Eric