begin  quote
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:28:41 +0200
a_k_b <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> well, on a regular basis its especially gaim and sylpheed-claws. both
> apps in different versions (same problem for a couple of months now
> and many newer (partly cvs-) updates of these apps.

Sylpheed-claws uses gtk+-1.2 , and I know the pixmap themes in gtk-1,2
were a bit buggy and didn't release RAM as they should at times.  (as
said, try changing the theme if you use a pixmap based one..  )

> uhm... i think both of the mentioned apps use them, dont they?
gaim uses gtk-2, sylpheec-claws gtk-1.2

> well, i use too many gtk+ apps, since i prefer gtk for my x apps.
> thats the problem: theres no way for me to check if its gtk itself,
> since i cannot "work" that long time i would need to check for sure.
> btw: i recently changed from cleanice to geramik, both same error.

Cleanice should be solid, I've used it here with no problems (both for
gtk2 and gkt 1.2 )  geramik was a bit buggy for a while, might have
improved since I havent used it.

> > Otherwise I'd suggest playing some with either memprof or valgrind,
> > both will take quite some effort though, but should generally prove
> > the results fairly well once you've got a clue on what application
> > is sucking the RAM.
>
> well, i dont know 'em... is it "easy" (transparent) to use? i'm a
> geek, but not in every sense ;)

Nope. Both are quite high-level delveopers tools, And you shouldn't have
to use them..

> > gaim could well be a culprit since it loads a lot of logs and stuff
> > in RAM (connection states) and isn't the nicest of all apps I've
> > ever seen.
>
> well... i already noticed that. it has MANY problems i would like not
> to have... but i need a multi-protocol-messenger. and the only other i
> know is kopete. but kopete == kde :-( i dont like programs that start
> something like "desktopbla-start" and eats memory for a whole second
> desktop *lol* well, and i also dont know if kopete is that good...

does the memory recover if you shut Gaim down and leave it dead for a
while?  I'm not too up-to-date about multi-protocol clients so I can't
recommend any other :/

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!