Hi Thorsten!

  The logs, that emerge produces, have no default name. Also, a log is
created for every package that is being emerged and after that emerge,
the log file will never be opened again for something to be added.
Logrotate is usually used for logs with standard names that you want to
do rotation and compression on them. I just couldn't find a logical way
to set up the logrotate to do what I wanted. Maybe the can't handle
statement was a bit too much :-) If you can find a way to set it up with
logrotate I would be glad to use that instead of the custom scripts.