Hi Mark,

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:43:18 -0700
Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I'm having a problem understanding how to actually handle a blocked
> package in emerge and move forward. I've attached a portion of what
[snip]

This particular issue has been raised before on the list and in a GWN.  I'll leave it
to you to search the list archives, and point you to the first article in
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20030728-newsletter.xml.

The long and short of it is: remove the blocked packages, and install perl-5.8.0-12.
The missing stuff from the blocked packages is likely now in the perl base package.
If you're paranoid, you can emerge the new versions of the old packages you removed.

Cheers,
Anthony.