Greetings!  I downloaded the two v1.4 Athlon-XP CDs and tried to install
Gentoo last night.  I had a problem and was hoping someone here could help.

Booting from the CD works just fine.  I didn't receive any errors during the
install process.  I followed the instructions on the website for a GRP
install.  Here's how I built my kernel:

# emerge -k sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
# emerge -k genkernel

After updating lilo and finishing the install I went to reboot and the
kernel died with a kernel panic trying to init USB storage devices.  I
unplugged all USB devices (other than my kbd & mouse) and tried again with
the same result.

My question is, since the kernel on the CD worked without problems can I
just install and use that one?  That way I can try different options in the
kernel to fix the issue?

Thanks!
Brendan

--
Some say that pirates steal and should be feared and hated.
I say we're victims of bad press it's all exaggerated,