Hi All,

I'm using the live CD along with the 2nd CD for my
installation.

I am successfully able to install xfree86 and start it
up.

However, then I try to install gnome, emerge throws up
quiet a few errors and fails to proceed.

>>> emerge (1 of 117) gnome-base/ORBit2-2.6.1 to /
>>> Downloading
http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/distfiles/ORBit2-2.6.1.tar.bz2
!!! Couldn't download ORBit2-2.6.1.tar.bz2. Aborting.

After this I type 'emerge -k <ORBit2's full path>' and
this proceeds.

However, 'emerge gnome' again spits out error messages
similar to the above with other packages.

Also 'emerge -k gnome' also ends up with the similar
problems.

I'm not installing using a net connection.

I have copied all the packages from
/mnt/cdrom/packages/* to /usr/portage/packages from my
second CD.

-Is there any other configuration that I need to
perform?

-why isn't emerge able to find the packages from my
local harddisk?

-has anyone else tried installing gnome from the CD
and does it work? if yes could you let me know the
steps.

TIA,
Sharath