> You are supposed to copy all packages to
> /usr/portage/packages. Are you
> sure there aren't any packages on the first CD too?

well ye, you first copy over the contents of the first
CD to /usr/portage/packages/ and /usr/porage/distfiles

However this is *only* for sthe first CD. The sedond
CD contains only ythe packages/All directory and
according to the install guide, this has been done.

> Well guess what! There is a make.conf :-) You can
> make some changes
> there that will affect emerge.

Well can't say I haven't tried that but in a
different way.

emerge -k </path/package name> would find the
dependencies to that particular package and install
that .
Now I did try fiddling with that and installed gnome*
from the pakcages/All. However, I'm unable to find
which of those packages has the gdm that starts up
gnome.

I will try listing the contents and 'grep'ing for gdm

but well just wanted a lean mean system and this would
bloat it up a bit.

cheers,
Sharath

=====