Chris Bare wrote:
I just did an emerge -u --deep world. It did not list the gentoo-source
as a package it would upgrade, but I happened to look at the messages
streaming by and saw that it was installing 2.4.20-r6.

That is very odd. Run 'regenworld' and 'emerge regen'. Read below.

I was kind-of surprised that I'd get a new kernel version so stealthily.
qpkg shows I have r5 and r6 installed:

Perhaps emerge -Pp gentoo-sources would also be appropriate.

# qpkg -I -v gentoo-source
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r5 *
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r6 *

It isn't done by stealth. It *should* specify it in the list of updates. Perhaps it was the manner in which you listed the updates. I usually do a 'emerge -Duvp world'.

I have 2 questions.
How would I have even known this got installed if I hadn't happened to
see it scroll by?

Log the list of updates and log the entire update process. Examples are given below.

emerge -Duvlp world > /tmp/portage/list.log
emerge -Du world | tee /tmp/portage/update.log

How do I find out what's in r6 to decide if I want to build/install/run
it?

Take a look at the daily cvs changelog for all packages (on gentoo website and on mailing list) or individual version changelogs for packages by doing [1] or [2].

[1] emerge -l <packagename> (to list changelog entry for one package - do this before the update)
[2] emerge -Duvlp world (to list changelog entries for all package updates automatically - again do after emerge sync and before updating)

The -l flag only works on pending updates and not after the updates have been performed.

HTH.