Hi,

These questions are probably slightly off-topic, as they're not uniquely relevant to Gentoo as a distro, but I know how helpful & knowledgeable my fiends here are, and how long the Apache documentation is, so I thought I'd throw these questions to the floor and see if anyone has any quick tips.

I've used Apache before, and found it easy to install simple webpages & sites under it, but I have not really dug much deeper than that. Following instructions at Gentoo.org I have installed Squirrelmail & that works fine - those instructions took care of the php & ssl stuff for me.

I have recently got global DNS sorted for my LAN: I got a free subdomain of eu.org, and used Bind on my server to host the DNS entries (free secondary DNS from GraniteCanyon.com).

So now the server in my airing cupboard is addressable as stroller.uk.eu.org. It is also addressable as www.stroller.uk.eu.org & foo.bar.uk.eu.org & anything-you-like-as-long-as-it-is-not-a-valid-hostname-on-my- lan.stroller.uk.eu.org. All my files are in /home/httpd/htdocs/somedirectory

My first question is: is it possible to have apache return requests for stuff.stroller.uk.eu.org with /home/httpd/htdocs/stuff/index.html ? Is it possible to do this automagically for all foo.stroller.uk.eu.org bar.stroller.uk.eu.org & grunt.stroller.uk.eu.org ??

Secondly: is it possible to redirect http://mail.stroller.uk.eu.org to https://mail.stroller.uk.eu.org to ensure encryption..?

(Actually, I'm sure the answer to both of these is "yes", so the real questions are "how do I do these things?" ;-])

Previous installations of Apache that I have had, have allowed me to browse to myserver.com/somedir/ and see a list of files to click on & download (or click on & view in the browser in the case off pictures) if there is no index.html in that directory. On my default Gentoo installation of Apache2 I get the message "Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /somedir/ on this server." How can I change this behavior..? I think it is best to enable directory contents listings on a per-directory basis. I've had problems with files with spaces in the names in the past before - when clicking on the link in the directory listing it the file won't download. IIRC this is something to do with the space character and %20. Can anyone tell me about this..?

Finally, it's be kinda handy to arrange my webpages on a template basis: if Apache finds no index.html but does find content.txt it should dynamically create & display a page from cat'ting some predefined head.html with content.txt and a predefined tail.html. I believe that Apache's "server-side includes" does this. Is that correct, or am I much confused..? Does anyone have any pointers to suitable tutorials, or any helpful advice on this..?

Many thanks for comments - I'm not (just) trying to skip my homework, but hopefully inviting discussion from the wise heads around here who can demonstrate their superior knowledge.

Stroller.