All,

OK, maybe its just me and I am a control freak.. (hell, my wife says I can be.. :) )..
How can anyone just write a script to emerge world all the time and expect the system
to just be ok?? Maybe its because of my systems being here so long.  I have used
gentoo since very early in the process as I followed Robbins around with his how to
articles and was there when he decided to create this gentoo.

My problem with it is this, I have rendered things useless, normally because the
update is a considerable change and the config files change.. Being I am sitting right
there during every update I do, I just fix it and move on.. but how can you script
this out? How do you know if samba is going to send you that fix that you must change
something in your config file??

The Perl thing is a great example of an update I have had recently that if I wasn't
sitting there when I did a emerge -udp, I would not have noticed the new perl broke
several of my perl packages... Then telling me I needed to uninstall them first,
install perl, then put them back... Then you got people on here asking why they have
these perl packages that want to be backed out since they don't know what's going on.

Care to help me out?

Btw, I am not trying to degrade anyone with this, I am just trying to figure out how
you guys just do emerge world's all the time without breaking anything.. You guys are
much smarter than me if you can do that...

Thanks,
Jeff