On August 22, 2003 04:01 pm, Spider wrote:
> And, Normally i never script updates. i don't think anyone in their sane
> mind does that.  our system as it is builds on manual updates and slow
> migration, since we do api-changing / config changing updates...
>
> Had we had a stable product with a single tree and only binary updates
> (no dynamic dependencies) it could be done, but the current level of
> complexity that Gentoo offers disbands that in many parts.
>
> Sorry, but I can't come with a smarter input here.

Dunno. Sounds pretty smart to me ;). I've recently scripted the emerge sync,
but I always leave the actual emerge -uD world until I've seen what needs to
be done (eg. Java needed to be updated recently. I'd like to see a script to
do that properly...). Some things just need to be handled by someone who's
actually looked at the output.

Regards,
Brian

--
"Engineering meets art in the parking lot and things explode."
-- Garry Peterson, about Survival Research Labs