On Saturday 23 August 2003 18:38, Stroller wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 August 2003, at 1:24 am, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> > SuSE's CEO Richard Seibt chose to demonstrate a high degree of
> > arrogance. In response to CRN's question about Windows to Linux
> > migration, Seibt insisted that "Linux means two companies: Red Hat and
> > SuSE, and nobody else.
> > http://www.distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20030818
> >
> > Is Meister Seibt taking idiot lessons from SCO CEO Darl McBride?
>
> I think he's saying Gentoo doesn't exist in terms of outsourceable o/s
> support contacts. You can buy support from RedHat (and presumably SuSE)
> that you can't from Gentoo. Gentoo's non-static nature & dynamic
> updates also, I believe, make it difficult to justify in the enterprise
> marketplace.

Actually, the devs are working on at least two systems to make Gentoo more
attractive to the enterprise. I subscribed to the gentoo-dev ML a couple of
days ago and already have read about a system to help admins with security
issues as well as a talk of "releases". Once that's done, Gentoo will become
viable for the enterprise and outsourcableness (is that a word?) will soon
follow.

Regards,
Jason