On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 04:42:22PM -0400, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> I have downloaded some copies of some old time Radio Mystery Theater
> stuff from various places around the Net. However, each and every one of
> the mp3s are playing far too fast. They all sound like a bunch of
> chipmunks reading a story :)
>
> I have tried using xmms and mp3blaster, and they both have the same
> result. Plenty of other music mp3s work just fine... Any ideas?

   Hmm.  Not quite enough information here, would be useful to know if
you're using ALSA or not.  And which particular output plugin you're
using in xmms.

   There _is_ an issue with some ALSA drivers in that select() isn't
always handled properly.  I know this can cause similar effects if I'm
playing sound through SDL, which is the default for mplayer.  If I set
mplayer to play through ALSA directly, it works just fine: if it's through
SDL, then the music plays fast and then skips as mplayer tries to sync
the audio and video back up again.

   If you're using ALSA, try making sure that xmms is using an ALSA output
plugin directly rather than going through anything else first.  If not,
then I'm afraid I can't help you.