On Monday 25 August 2003 18:10, Peron, Stéphane wrote:
> And if I want to recompile KDE anyway ... ;-) ???
> How can I do this from a GRP installation ?
> (It just to understand how portage works)

Ordinarily, to recompile a package you can just give the command "emerge
<package/name>". However kde-base/kde is a little different. All it does is
depend on individual parts of kde as a convenience. If you look in
/usr/portage/kde-base/ you'll see many packages.Kde depends on:

kde-base/kdelibs
kde-base/kdebase
kde-base/kdeaddons
kde-base/kdeadmin
kde-base/kdeartwork
kde-base/kdeedu
kde-base/kdegames
kde-base/kdegraphics
kde-base/kdemultimedia
kde-base/kdenetwork
kde-base/kdepim
kde-base/kdetoys
kde-base/kdeutils

The only other package in the kde-base group is arts, which is depended on by
some of the above packages.

This gives a few options on how to recompile.

The most basic is "emerge -e kde-base/kde". This, however, won't only
recompile kde but will recompile everything in your system that kde depends
on, and anything those packages depend on. Usually, with this sort of
command, most of the base system will be recompiled as well.

To only recompile kde, including arts, you would need to emerge each of the
packages listed above. This could be done one at a time or all together; i.e.
"emerge kde-base/kdelibs; emerge kde-base/kdebase; emerge
kde-base/kde-addons; ..." or "emerge kde-base/kdelibs kde-base/kdebase
kde-base/kdeaddons ..."

The latter command can be shortened somewhat and also made to include arts
with the following:
cd /usr/portage; emerge `find kde-base -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1`

Note that they are `` and not '', shift-~ on a US keyboard.

I hope this helped you to understand a little about how portage works!

Regards,
Jason