On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 22:51, Bill Witherspoon wrote:
> * Ron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2003-08-25 20:59:32 -0400]:
>
> > I am about to install Gentoo, and would like to know how to write
> > lilo.conf to allow a choice between winxp, Mandrake and Gentoo. I would
> > like to be able to keep using Mandrake at least until I have Gentoo
> > installed and working!  I am a newbie and am sure to make mistakes the
> > first time around.  I have looked for lilo docs online but have not
> > found much.  Everything seems to deal with dos-linux dual boot.
> >

> This is exactly what I do.. I'm still learning Gentoo and getting it
> configured, but I haven't had any trouble triple-booting Mandrake,
> WinXP, and Gentoo.
>
> This is what I did (ymmv):
> - You will need to compile your Gentoo kernel (follow the excellent
>   instructions on the gentoo site)
> - Copy the newly created kernel to your Mandrake /boot partition (I
>   renamed mine 'gentoo')
> - Add the gentoo kernel to your Mandrake /etc/lilo.conf
> - As root run /sbin/lilo -v
> - Reboot and select Gentoo
>
> My lilo.conf is below. Note that the partitions will have to be changed
> to reflect your setup. Gentoo & Windows are near the bottom. I use
> reiserfs for Gentoo so its shown read-write.
>
> Now if we could both get out of rpm hell.... ;-)
>
> Bill.
>
> /etc/lilo.conf
>
> boot=/dev/hde
> map=/boot/map
> install=menu
> vga=normal
> default="linux"
> keytable=/boot/us.klt
> prompt
> nowarn
> timeout=50
> message=/boot/message
> menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
> disk=/dev/hde bios=0x80
> disk=/dev/hda bios=0x81
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>       label="linux"
>       root=/dev/hde7
>       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>       append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
>       vga=788
>       read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>       label="linux-nonfb"
>       root=/dev/hde7
>       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>       append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
>       read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>       label="failsafe"
>       root=/dev/hde7
>       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>       append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
>       read-only
> image=/boot/gentoo
>       label=gentoo
>       root=/dev/hde6
>       read-write
> other=/dev/hde1
>       label="windows"
>       table=/dev/hde
> other=/dev/fd0
>       label="floppy"
>       unsafe

I can see your approach solving the problem I had.  running /sbin/lilo
only gave me error messages, hdax is not bootable or could not find hdax
in fstab.  One other question. My Mandrake root partion is also reiserfs
but Mandrake configured lilo to read

        read-only

My boot partition is e2 -j do you use read-write because your boot
partition is also reiserfs?

Thank-you!!  I am now looking forward to "installing Gentoo - Round Two"

--
Ron
[EMAIL PROTECTED]