On Thursday 28 August 2003 13:54, Stroller wrote:

> > The one good thing to be said for a Windows network is that these
> > steps are unnecessary - Client For MS Networks seems to take care of
> > hostname -> IP translation for hosts discovered by broadcast on the
> > network. You might investigate Samba to see if it has these
> > capabilities.
>
> FYI: unless I am misunderstanding what WINS is, section 7 (Name
> Resolution Options) of /etc/samba/smb.conf suggests that such a
> configuration is possible under Linux. I think you could perhaps find
> the solution simply by emerging & configuring this package - but if you
> have never configured Samba before, it can be a little tricky!

WINS will broadcast to find SMB computers' NetBIOS names. This will not help
with pinging and such - all it allows is being able to refer to a machine by
NetBIOS name when using tools like smbmount.

As of Win2K/ADS, WINS has been depracated in favour of dynamic registration in
DNS by the clients. This, however, still requires at least one static IP -
the DNS server. I believe BIND9 has support for DNS registration (part of
IPv6 isn't it?) and but all of this is a little bit of an overkill for 2
machines behind 1 router, no?

Regards,
Jason