Thanks for the tips. I added teh hdg=none to my grub.conf and it worked like a
charm.
However I'm not sure what you mean by disable multi-mode I ran make menuconfig
and under [IDE ATA and ATAPI Block Devices]
[]"Use Multi mode by devault" is already disabled. Should I turn it on?
or is there another setting I'm not seeing. I thought I could add the hdparm
rc-script as a dependency to the checkfs rc-script so when fsck gets called
the harddisk will already be in DMA mode. However I am yet to make this work.

Thanks again for taking the time.
-Arlo-