Mark Knecht ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> Hi,
>    This has been an ongoing problem for me. Can anyone recommend a UPS for a
> Linux desktop type machine that can do an automated shutdown and runs in the
> neighborhood of $100? I have no trouble with this in Windows, doing it with
> $60 USB versions from APC, but I haven't found anything similar for Linux.
>
>    If you've solved this problem, please respond back with both the UPS
> model number (if possible) and where to get the drivers.

Hows about on the way to working?

I bought a BackUPS 300 for $10 at a hamfest.  I found out later it was
$10 because the cable (serial) was missing.  Of course it's a custom
serial cable.  So I found directions on the net for building your own
cable (wire, connectors and a resistor).  The linux daemon is called
'apcupsd' (often confused with cupsd).  Unfortunately, right now it is
just battery backup, I don't have the cable made due to schedule-creap
of other projects with higher priority... *8v)

So I guess my suggestion is to take a look at apcupsd.

HTH

Cooper.