On Friday 05 September 2003 11:12 am, Joshua Banks wrote:
> I'm finally logged into my Gentoo now.
>
> Just before I rebooted at end of the Initial install I did a
>
> #USE="bindist" emerge -k xfree (This was off CD1)
>
> After the reboot and login I did a
>
> #US="bindist" emerge -k kde   (This was off CD2)
>
> CD2 has a ton of apps.
>
> Basically what I would like to do before I pass out from mental
> exhaustion is to get my simple bases covered.
>
> Make sure the mouse, video, keyboard are working correctly and then
> I would like to get KDE up and running so that I can configure the
> KPPP client to get out to the internet via my dialup connection.
>
> What packages am I going to need to install to get Access to a
> webbrowser (not sure which one to choose from) assuming that I have
> KDE insalled...or what ever the command above did.

KDE has its own web browser. It's called Konqueror. after installing
KDE from your GRP CD's it will be there. It may be missing some
plugins for certain mime-types but will be functional. Look for an
icon that looks like a globe on the pannel (bottom left)
Look on the CD for MozillaFirebird. It is another browser It's faster
and more light weight than konqueror.

> The CD2 has a ton of applications and utilites.
>
> Whats the best, less time consuming way for a noob to get these
> basic things up and running?
>
> I'll worry about tweaking the video card and sound later unless
> someone has some better ideas... Will the users-handbook

Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free