When I issued the commad:

emerge -u world

My kernel was upgraded form 2.4.20-gentoo-r5 to r6. Among other things.

This is what it said just befoe finishing?

>>> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r6/COPYING
>>> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r6/REPORTING-BUGS
>>> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r6/CREDITS

 * After installing a new kernel of any version, it is important
 * that you have the appropriate /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-X.Y
 * created (X.Y is the first 2 parts of your new kernel version)

I show a kernel-2.4 and a kenrel-2.5 in /etc/modules.autoload.d/

 bash-2.05b# etc-update
Scanning Configuration files...
The following is the list of files which need updating, each
configuration file is followed by a list of possible replacement files.
1) /etc/init.d/hdparm
/etc/init.d/._cfg0000_hdparm
2) /etc/kernels/genkernel
/etc/kernels/._cfg0000_genkernel
Please select a file to edit by entering the corresponding number.
              (-1 to exit) (-3 to auto merge all remaining files)
                           (-5 to auto-merge AND not use 'mv -i'): -3

Replacing /etc/init.d/hdparm with /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_hdparm
mv: overwrite `/etc/init.d/hdparm'? y

Replacing /etc/kernels/genkernel with /etc/kernels/._cfg0000_genkernel
mv: overwrite `/etc/kernels/genkernel'? y

Exiting: Nothing left to do; exiting. :)

If I do a "uname -a", it shows that I'm still running 2.4.20-gentoo-r5.

Did I do the right thing after upgradeing or do I need to reboot as well?

Is there some type of Standard Operating Proceedure after doing an "emerge sync"
,"emerge -u
world" and/or right after downloading anytype of application..I.E. ethereal, Gaim,
ect..ect.. that
I should be following for best practices?

Can I download other applications (tar.gz's) that aren't included in the portage tree
without
effecting Gentoo in anyway?