On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 23:47, Lincoln A. Baxter wrote:

> I am willing to fix ASAP, if I we con figure out what is wrong.
>
> Lincoln

The best way to fix it would be to uninstall the errant program and
rethink your spam protection methods altogether. Challenge/Response is a
bad idea, probably the worst idea anyone's come up with to fight spam so
far.

By requesting confirmations you are shifting the cost of dealing with
spam from yourself to others in the same way that spammers shift the
cost of their advertising from themselves onto you.

By replying with the entire message quoted you are relaying any spam
which hits your system to the secondary victim forged into the From
header. Your system is as much a public nuisance as any open relay,
spammers are already leveraging this technique to evade DNSBL listings
and give each message 2 chances of being delivered.

As to why the software is malfunctioning for you, I'd guess it's trying
to match your whitelist settings to the address in the From header when
in this case it needs the (equally trivially forged) Reply-To header.

Hope that helps :)

--
Yorkshire Dave
Custom rule generator for SpamAssassin.

top-posters will be tarred and feathered!

Scanned by MailScanner at wot.no-ip.com