On Sunday 07 September 2003 04:47 pm, Kevin Miller, Jr. wrote:

I have Comcast working.  I just needed to make sure the correct ethernet card
modules were loaded (modprobe 3c95x) install the dhcp client (emerge dhcpcd)
and then start the dchp service (dhcpcd eth0).

> Okay, I attempted to install Gentoo 1.4 today.  I managed to get the
> partitions okay.  I had several problems that arose:
>
> 1.  I could not automatically configure the Network connection with
> net-setup eth0.  I think this is Comcast's fault since they make it
> difficult for Linux user's to connect online.  They only support Windows
> and Apple users.  Any Comcast users who were successful in connecting with
> the internet?
>
> 2.  Since I had the LiveCDs, I did not worry having a network connection.
> Or so I thought.  I tried to extract the Portage snapshot from the CD.
> Unfortunately, I do not know what datestamp of the filename is.  Where can
> I find this?
>
> 3.  The other problem that arose was when I tried to get back into Windows
> (I have a dual-boot partion).  I could not since I was always brought to
> grub.  Eventually, I had to reboot from the Windows XP CD and delete the
> grub partition (plus the other partitions).  Is there anyway I can avoid
> doing this in the future?  I liked Red Hat's grub and I am hopefully that
> after fully installing Gentoo 1.4 that there will be a similar grub.  Until
> then, I really need to get access to my files in Windows and Dreamweaver.
>
> It was a bit frustrating but I think once I get the datestamp problem
> figured out, it will not be a problem.  Like I said in the subject, this
> has been an interesting learning experience.
>
> Kevin

Categorical Imperative: "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at
the same time will that it should become a universal law."

 --Immanuel Kant:  (Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals) (1785)