"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live."   - Peter Cochrane

> The && command is a way to tell the system to kick in another command as
> soon as the last one has finished..
This is not quite right. The && tells bash to execute the second command if
the first one succeeds (has an exit status of 0). To execute the second
command regardless of the outcome of the first a semicolon (;) would be used.
Ahh yeah sorry.. forgot about that.. :-P

> >Shorewall has detected the following iptables/netfilter capabilities:
> > NAT: Not available
> > Packet Mangling: Not available
> > Multi-port Match: Not available
> > Connection Tracking Match: Not available
> >modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
> >iptables v1.2.8: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who?
> >(do you
> > need to insmod?)
> >Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
> >Processing /etc/shorewall/stop ...
> >
> >(I've obviously missed something here)
>
> You need to have these things either compiled into the kernel or compiled
> as modules (and added to your modules.autoload.d :
> NAT
> Packet Mangling
> Multi-port Match
> Connection Tracking Match
> ip_tables
>

> NOTE!
> Unless your using this machine as a gateway/router then I'm not sure why
> you would add them..
> and if you are then why have a soundcard etc in it..?

Shorewall is a firewall. It is used to secure up the box a little from remote
intrusions. Useful as a gateway/router or a desktop, no?

I wasn't really focused on shorewall.. just the fact that he had NAT on a desktop???

Actually, I'm using natting just to use squid as a transparent proxy - and it's only a desktop. I figure may as well share an internet cache and couldn't be bothered setting it up for each user, especially if I need to turn squid off for any reason.

hmm.. ok.. hadn't thought of that.. You learn sommink new every day.. :-D

Jason