In my initial install I used Genkernel to compile the kernel. Do I need to use
Genkernel to
upgrade to the newer kernel or can I manually compile the upgrade?

 For now lets say I want to use Genkernel again.
 This is what I think I need to do. Can someone please confirm...Thanks

Code:

 bash-2.05b# dir
 linux  linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5  linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r6

 rm linux
 ln -s linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r6 linux
 cd linux

 Can I just run genkernel at this point or do I need to:

 mount /boot and then issue genkernel?

 Then of course I would need to Modify Grub.conf to reflect the new kernel.

 Then reboot.

Code:

 uname -a to confirm?

 Do I need to issue any emerge commands or env-update && source /etc/profile after
this proceedure
is done???

Am I missing anything??

 One other question. Knowing that I used genkernl to compile the kernel, I installed
shorewall
firewall and I need to install some modules. Can I do this through "make menuconfig"
or can this
be done through genkernel? If through genkernel where is this documented? This is what
shorewall
is saying when I try to start it..

Quote:

 Starting Shorewall...
 Initializing...
 Shorewall has detected the following iptables/netfilter capabilities:
 NAT: Not available
 Packet Mangling: Not available
 Multi-port Match: Not available
 Connection Tracking Match: Not available

 Processing /etc/shorewall/init ...
 Deleting user chains...
 modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
 iptables v1.2.8: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need
to insmod?)

 Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

 I know iptables has been installed and have verified that it exsists.

 After I load the modules should I put these in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.x as
well?

 Sorry for the noobness  I'm learning....