On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 12:30:53PM -0400, Chris I wrote:
> On 2003.09.09 07:15, rh wrote:
> >On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 01:43:53 -0400
> >Chris I <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >terminal
> >shoving
> >>
> >> I can't reproduce this with aterm.
> >>
> >> xev &
> >> exit
> >

> >Odd but I usually just close the terminal window with a mouse click
> >which kills my background process. But closing with "exit" seems to
> >leave my process running. What is the difference?
>
> I'm not sure. Perhaps the window manager kills the process when you
> close the window?

Something like that.  It's the difference between bash (or your shell)
exiting gracefully and the process that's running it exiting gracefully.
Closing the terminal sends the proper signals to close the window, but
that window doesn't know how to tell the terminal it's running to end
itself gracefully, so it sends sighup or sigkill or something which
kills off bash ungracefully, which then takes backgrounded processes
with it.  Something like that anyway :)  Just use 'exit' or ^d to exit
the shell and all will be fine.

alan

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain