Chris,

The base version of Gentoo installs net-mail/ssmtp which links ssmtp to
sendmail.  This program is only run when you try to send mail from your
system.  The error message that you are getting:

sendmail: Cannot open mail:25

Means, ssmtp could not open a mail connection to the host "mail".  ssmtp is
not configured to send mail by itself, it is configured to relay mail to
another host, "mail".

You won't see the program with a "ps -a" because it only runs when sending
mail.  It is not waiting for mail to arrive.

I hope this helps...

                          Sean

On September 14, 2003 12:25 am, Chris Conway wrote:
> I am just finishing a new install of gentoo sourcces and have emerged
> xfree, kde, and the ATI drivers.  Why is this popping up in the
> terminal?  Better question is why- I haven't installed sendmail?  Is it
> part of KDE? Or is it some other process trying to invoke sendmail and
> failing? metalog trying to send a message (can it do that)?
>
> Odder yet I did a emerge -p unmerge sendmail and it says it isn't
> installed.
>
> Is my computer haunted by a sendmail daemon?

Sean Higgins, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.systura.com - "Where information meets knowledge."