Having given up, at least for now, on the onboard Promise RAID controller on
my new mb, I switched the two Seagate SATA HDs onto the descrete SATA
connectors on the MB.  They're coming up, but with errors, or not at all in
the stock gentoo kernel.

The stock gentoo kernel hangs on boot after the ICH5-SATA boot report.  If I
have ide=nodma in the boot invocation, the last line is

hde: ST3120023AS, ATA DISK drive

If I don't use ide=nodma, the hang is after the line

blk: queue .......   I/O Limit 4095MB (mask 0xfff... etc.)

If I use the smp kernel, I can mount the hard drive, partition it, and
apparently write to it, but I get frequent console messages like:

ide2: unexpected interrupt, status=0xd0, count=xxxxx

If I use the smp-apci kernel (required to get Hyper-threading working) I
seem to be able to mount existing partitions on the drives, but can't modify
the partition tables.  When I try to do so, I get, in addition to the
"unexpected interrupt" error, the following errors, several times:

hde: status error: status=0x58 (DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest)

hde: drive not ready for command

The partition table write fails.

These are Seagate drives, and after buying them I disovered that Western
Digital has a better reputation with some people for SATA drives, and that
Seagate's may have known problems with DMA.

Don't know if the drives are crap, the kernel doesn't contain the proper
options, there's a timing issue, or what...  I don't know if I can trust the
SATA system for building a Gentoo install considering all this.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at