On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:39:48 +0200, Timo Boettcher wrote:

> Cool box. I am running Gentoo on a Pentium 75MHz (yes, thats about
> half your clock) with 14MB ram (third of yours). I DID change the
> original 262MB HDD for a 10GB one, though. Perhaps you should think
> about this, too. You might want to find out if you could put any
> additional Ram in that thing...

        If I had money for more memory or drive space, I'd have already hit the
computer shows for a (slightly) better machine.  :)  I have to make this
work without any upgrades.  I do admit, 10GB would be *much* nicer than 2!
However, I have had pretty good stuff installed on it before.

> I installed my laptop with a hdd adaptor to get the notebooks hdd
> working in my Athlon TB 1,2GHz. For maintaining it, I have an tar.gz
> image of the notebook on my dual P3 (these thinks rule, don't they?
> *g*), chroot in and rsync it over.

        That's a good trick... probably makes upgrades much faster!

>>         I seem to have read that it is possible to install Gentoo
>> from binaries only, so can it be done without installing GCC? [...]

> It is possible to get a Gentoo Base-system in 800MB (including GCC AND
> Sources (that one was a server)). You might want to go really low with
> your fs-blocksize (1kb or so) to minimize loss.

        That is a good idea!  I could go even lower... I think DOS floppies use
512-byte sectors; that would be good if most of the files are small.  A
server running in 800MB?  Yeah, without X and lots of user programs, I can
see that!  Hey, I could go really retro and *not* install X... use Emacs
for everything...  ;)

>> with (hd1,0), it does not work.  (The Knoppix floppy also does not work
>> -- it says it cannot find any CD drives and drops me to a horrible
>> shell.)

> If you think a shell is horrible, are you sure you are right here?

        It's not that I think *a* shell is horrible (Bash rocks!), but *that*
shell is! It doesn't even have "ls" or tab completion, so if you want to
run something, you'd better already know where it is.  :)

        Anyway, I think I will have another try this weekend.  Maybe I could put
QNX or something there if Gentoo doesn't work.  ;)

--
// Carl Hudkins :: Jabber [EMAIL PROTECTED] :: PGP 50238D9E
//