Hi Carl,

Nachricht vom Dienstag, 16. September 2003, 14:47:28:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:39:48 +0200, Timo Boettcher wrote:

>> I installed my laptop with a hdd adaptor to get the notebooks hdd
>> working in my Athlon TB 1,2GHz. For maintaining it, I have an
>> tar.gz image of the notebook on my dual P3 (these thinks rule,
>> don't they? *g*), chroot in and rsync it over.
>         That's a good trick... probably makes upgrades much faster!
Yeah. emerge sync takes about 10hours for me (the actual sync is
something of minutes, but "updating dependency cache"... takes
endless. My hdd is attached via ISA-Bus to CPU (that laptop has no
internal PCI), so I get 2500Kb/s max from the hdd. With 14MB ram, that
makes swapping really slow.

>> It is possible to get a Gentoo Base-system in 800MB (including GCC
>> AND Sources (that one was a server)). You might want to go really
>> low with your fs-blocksize (1kb or so) to minimize loss.
>         That is a good idea!  I could go even lower... I think DOS
> floppies use 512-byte sectors; that would be good if most of the
> files are small.
Thats something to experiment with, calls for loopback-devices on the
bigger machines...
> A server running in 800MB?  Yeah, without X and lots of user
> programs, I can see that!  Hey, I could go really retro and *not*
> install X... use Emacs for everything...  ;)
You may want to have a look at framebuffer-things... you can run some
higher resolutions, have graphical browser, even video-playback via
mplayer (if it doesn't work, there is still that asci-art mode... *g*)

>>> with (hd1,0), it does not work.  (The Knoppix floppy also does not
>>> work -- it says it cannot find any CD drives and drops me to a
>>> horrible shell.)
>> If you think a shell is horrible, are you sure you are right here?
>         It's not that I think *a* shell is horrible (Bash rocks!),
> but *that* shell is! It doesn't even have "ls" or tab completion, so
> if you want to run something, you'd better already know where it is.
>  :)
OK, I know that kind of shells. Like DOS.

>         Anyway, I think I will have another try this weekend.  Maybe
> I could put QNX or something there if Gentoo doesn't work.  ;)

Gentoo DOES work.

 Timo