|Hi,
|
|Firstly I dont suggest you do this if you dont already know postfix quite
|well,
|if at all possible maby get some help or give a freind a call who might be
|able to
|help you out if you get stuck.
|
|Secondly you should also maby spend some time reading about postfix before
|considering this.
|
|Now.... There are a few things you would have to tell us before we could try
|to help you
|are you going from gentoo + postfix to gentoo + postfix ? are you
|reinstalling the gentoo machine
|if so why ? are you just changing the ip ? or are you making a whole
|reinstall for anther whole reason ?

]- ok... it is a postfix install on mandrake which I did..
It is working rock solid no problem. I would want to move it to gentoo-box.
The reason for this is I want to free the old machine (it is not so old :")) from this
service..
Other reasons is that it is rather hard to upgrade postfix on this machine via urpmi,
u know :")
Also i want to set spare machine for mai, web-mail, antivir, spam-filering etc..
instead of using current one.
The config of the new mail will be almost untouched... except changed addresses of
cource..

The real problems is handling DNS + /mail-queues and + user+mailboxes changes.
Even this is not hard if I have the choice to do this with big  interuption, that is
what i can't do :"(

My initial idea was :

 Setting the new mail server with higher prvilege in DNS, so from the time this DNS
change get updated worldwide
(it is aprox. 2 days, isnt it) all mail will go to the new mail server.

the problems is what is happening in between... and how to transffer old mail's &
queues concurently to the new server, so that they
are available and not duplicate... In fact that is the BIG trouble..