On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 06:41:14AM +0100, Andy Smith wrote:
> gcc -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I.
> -I/home/andy/tmp/Python-2.2.2/./Include -I/u
> sr/local/include -I/home/andy/tmp/Python-2.2.2/Include -I/home/andy/tmp/Python-2.2.2
> -c /home/andy/t
> mp/Python-2.2.2/Modules/selectmodule.c -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.2/selectmodule.o
> gcc -shared build/temp.linux-i686-2.2/selectmodule.o -L/usr/local/lib -o
> build/lib.linux-i686-2.2/se
> lect.so
> WARNING: removing "select" since importing it failed

In fact *every single python module* has this error, which seems to
install a python with no modules.  So, I can hypothesis that the
following happened:

- The emerge -e recompiled some essential part of my system
  involving the development of dynamically loaded modules, and it
  did it wrongly (I am using ~x86 btw, so maybe I am asking for
  this?)

- It then went on to recompile python with all its modules failing
  to import.

- This python was installed, leaving me with no working portage.

I now have to work out exactly what was installed that broke this.
The thing is though, that as far as I can tell, gcc and binutils
do seem to work.  I really don't want to go messing with those
especially without portage to configure them properly for gentoo.

Does anyone have any more ideas?  If I end up having to reinstall
the OS I probably will not be putting gentoo back, as it took me 4
days to have it working exactly as I would like and I can't spare
that sort of time right now.