On Wednesday 17 September 2003 13:49, Joshua Banks wrote:
> Just fishing here..+ acouple of questions.

> "My Goal" in this posting:
> Is to learn how-to correctly manually update the files without the use of
> "ect-update".

Well, the "correct" way is to use etc-update. There's also a utility called
dispatch-conf which is meant to be better than etc-update but not sure how it
works - check the forums on that.

> bash-2.05b# find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*'
> /etc/._cfg0000_inputrc
> /etc/._cfg0000_rc.conf
> /etc/._cfg0000_make.conf
> /etc/._cfg0000_make.globals
> /etc/._cfg0000_DIR_COLORS
> /etc/conf.d/._cfg0000_net
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_consolefont
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_checkfs
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_domainname
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_keymaps
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_net.eth0
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_modules
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_clock
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_hdparm
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_bootmisc
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_halt.sh
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_serial
> /etc/init.d/._cfg0000_checkroot
> /etc/._cfg0000_services
> /etc/._cfg0000_fstab
> /etc/._cfg0000_group
> /etc/._cfg0000_hosts
> /etc/._cfg0000_issue
> /etc/._cfg0000_dispatch-conf.conf
> /etc/._cfg0000_shells

This is essentially what etc-update first does. It checks other directories as
well, by default defined in make.globals under CONFIG_PROTECT.

> Now, this is where my questions come in.
>
> Again, "My Goal", to manually update the files without the use of
> "ect-update".
>
> At this point, I'm just manually "diff"ing each file, one by one. (Any
> suggestions on using "diff" and "cp" in a better way than I'm using will be
> helpful & appreciated as well.)

Personally, I like to see all the diffs before deciding what I want to keep
from either file. I usually then just use nano on the new file to merge my
changes to the old file.

> At this point, (1)I know logically that I've never messed with this file
> So would the correct thing to do in this (Specific) case, being inside the
> /etc directory, too:
> bash-2.05b# cp ._cfg0000_make.globals make.globals
> bash-2.05b# rm ._cfg0000_make.globals

That's okay, but this is better:
bash-2.05b# mv ._cfg0000_make.globals make.globals

I usually do this for (after editing) each file I'm interested in and then use
etc-update's -5 to move the rest. I have been bitten slightly a couple of
times when a gui program has changed a config file that I wasn't aware of. To
be safe, don't automatically overwrite a file unless you know what it is.

> Assuming that this were the only file that had differences (hypothectically
> speaking), WHAT, if anything do I need to do to next to let Gentoo know
> I've made the changes manually instead of using "etc-update"? Again,
> correct my thinking of this where you see fit...if it fits.. :P

As I said before, portage just scans for ._cfg???_* files, so they wont show
up as needing updating after deleting them.

Jason