brett holcomb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well, if you use etc-update on files like /etc/fstab your
> system will break.

Exactly.  I would vote for keeping /etc/fstab.example in portage, and
making the copying/editing part of the installation procedure (cp
/etc/fstab.example /etc/fstab; nano -w /etc/fstab).  Now I throw away
new versions of /etc/fstab, that may include important comments or
even important definitions such as for devfs or sysfs.  I used to
merge using Emacs ediff, but found it to quite cumbersome to page
through long configuration files and deciding what to keep and what to
merge.

I guess the above is true for several other files.  Any file that is
hard/dangerous to merge automatically should NOT be in portage, but
provided as an example or template instead.   In some cases one could
support optional configuration files that are read if they exist (if
[ -f /etc/blah.local ]; then source /etc/blah.local; ...).

My two Eurocents.

Gwendolyn.