On 17 Sep 2003, at 7:43 am, Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:

OK I will be more specific: I just want to transfer files from my pc to
my laptop, or make backups of one on the other. I have tried to do that
with a cable (rj45 as it's called in France) connecting them, but then I
could figure out what to do. There is some utility in KDE but I could not
make it work
This is why I believe I need a howto; I am currently reading the NET-HOWTO
but any other advice will be welcome

You probably want to install Samba (SMB), then. This is an implementation of Microsoft filesharing for Linux, and will allow you to drag & drop files on your PC to & from your Linux box; I would imagine that KDE / Gnome also allow drag & drop of files on SMB shares, or you can mount Windows shares at the command-line on your Linux box.

First, as someone else has pointed out, you need to ensure that the two machines are connected via the RJ45 cable (as it's also called elsewhere). You need to allocate each machine a different IP address on the same subnet - something like 192.168.1.5 & 192.168.1.6, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - then `ping` between them.

When I first started networking I found Helmig's HOWTO for Windows useful: http://wown.com/
For configuring Samba: http://tinyurl.com/nnpz

HTH,

Stroller.