On Thursday 18 September 2003 19:21, Joshua Banks wrote:
> How do I change the the font size for my console shells to default to a
> specific size.

There aren't console shells. They are terminals (xterm, eterm, konsole, etc)
or terminal emulators to be exact. In the terminal you run a shell (bash,
tcsh, etc). To put it simply, the console is the text mode before xwindows.

> Right now they are super tiny and I have to manually change the size
> everytime I open up a new shell window.
>
> I'm not to sure why they're so dam small. Trying to backtrack here and
> maybe someone will see where I went wrong. After installing Gentoo off CD I
> followed the "Desktop users Guide" and chose to use "XFree86 -configure"
> which created a functioning file that I cp'ed to /etc/X11/XF86Config.

That should be fine. Perhaps the fonts are only small because you're running
in a high resolution?

> I've looked in the "rc.conf" file and the:
>
> Consolefont="default8x16"
>
> It also says I can find a good selection of fonts in
> /usr/share/consolefonts. I've looked in this file and this looks to be for
> font "styles/types". I just want to adjust the size system wide if
> possible.

They are all fonts for the console (as defined above). default8x16 will give
you an 80x25 console. default8x8 will give you an 80x50 console. Other fonts
will do as you expect and change the character appearances but only in the
console.

You mentioned that you are running kde, so I'll assume you're talking about
konsole in all of this. To change the font in konsole, click "Setting->Font
and then your choice of Normal, Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Huge, Linux,
Unicode or Custom. Once you've chosen, you can then click Settings->Save
Settings to have all konsole sessions you open under your current user use
the same settings. Settings includes all. Settings includes everything you
see on the Settings menu from Bell to Size.

Jason