On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> OK, I have it so mail doesn't die and amavis is invoked, but it still does
> not work.
>
> Sep 19 18:35:45 fuggle amavisd[27719]: Virus scanner failure: Clamd - can't
> connect to daemon
>
> Yet ps shows:
>
> 26627 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/clamd
> 26632 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/clamd
> 26633 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/clamd
>
> When I check which ports are open, I see nothing that indicates clamd is
> listening on any of them.  So close yet so far.

'netstat -a | grep clam' should show you what port it's listening on.  I'm
sure clamav and amavis also have config files.

Since you're getting this far, we can certainly assume that postfix is set
up correctly.

I wonder if anyone has tried setting up amavis and/or clamav from procmail
instead of as a postfix content_filter.  It's possible (and recommended)
to use spamassassin from procmail, since it has spamd which is always
running and spamassassin as a client program to that.  And then you get
the ability to only send small emails through it.  If it's possible to run
antivirus from within procmail, then you get the advantage of a very
portable setup.

--
Marshal Newrock, unemployed Linux user in Lansing, MI
Caution: Product will be hot after heating