Hello,

Am Samstag, 20. September 2003 15:57 schrieb Ernie Schroder:
> On Saturday 20 September 2003 06:08 am, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > Hello,

> Schroder:

> > > I did as above and I got a zero bit file. I did:
> > > # emerge strace
> > > # strace X 1>out.txt 2>&1
> >
> > your commands look ok. A zero bit file is very strange. strace
> > traces system calls and signals. I cant imagine, how this could be
> > empty and the kernel locks. Could you try this as root, and add -f
> > to strace? This allowes tracing forked processes.
> > #strace -f X 1>out.txt 2>&1
> >
> > Michael
>
> I ran strace with the "f" flag and do get some output (see below)
> At a quick glance, nothing jumps out at me. Perhaps you can make some
> sense of it.
>
> # cat out.txt
> <snipped a lot of output>
> geteuid32()                             = 0
> execve("/etc/X11/X", ["/etc/X11/X"], [/* 36 vars */]
>
> I really appreciate the help, Michael. Thanks

the last command executed (/etc/X11/X) does not return. This is a symlink to /
usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86. So maybe you can get further information by running:
#strace -f /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 1>out.txt 2>&1
On my laptop I see things like opening the config and loading the drivers
specified there in the output.
I'm not very familiar with debugging such things, but I hope, we can get it
running this way.

Michael