I want to play around with kismet and airsnort, but my orinoco gold card
does not go into monitor mode using iwconfig.  There is a bunch of
patches available from http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinocoinfo.html, but I
am reluctant to install one because the latest version of patcheable
pcmcia-cs is 3.2.1 and I am running pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 gentoo emerge on a
gentoo Dell i8k running kernel 2.4.20-gentoo-r7 with all pcmcia options
off in .config and pcmcia up and running.  (I am connected to the
Internet at the moment via my card.)

What should I do to modify my orinoco driver to permit monitor mode?
Any guidance (even express directions) would be most appreciated.

Bud