I'm looking for some tips to start off creating a specific home
network.  My ISP gives me two IPs, I'd like to use one of them for my
desktop, and one for a wireless router (I don't want to put my desktop
behind the router because I don't want to compete with my roommate for
forwarding ports).  However, my desktop has two network cards, and I'd
like to also attach my desktop to the router (as net.eth1).  Then, I'd
like to configure it so that my desktop knows to use eth1 for any
192.168.x.x IP, and eth0 for all other internet usage.

My problem is that I really have no idea what software I should use on
my computer to configure it in this fashion.  Can someone give me a hint
on where to start learning?

Thanks,
-Peter