Hello,
  I am currectly working on setting up my server on my home lan to share its
/usr/portage with 2 other computers. Currently, I am using nfs to mount it
on my desktop machine and it works great, and was planning to setup my
laptop to mount it as for /usr/portage too, but a friend said the nfs has
problems if it is not able to mount a directory. This would be a problem
since I regularly take my laptop away from the lan and it would not be able
to mount. It is not necessary to have access to /usr/portage while I have
my laptop away from my lan since i can wait to install anything from home.
He mentioned using samba instead since it did not have this problem. Is
this a legitimate concern with nfs and should I switch over to samba? Will
portage be able to work correctly with a samba share from a permissions
standpoint?

TIA,
rick
  Rick Barnes                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]