On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Charlie wrote:

> Salut,
>
> here you see my diskspace made with df -h , the problem is my /root it
> shows me only 18M available, but with 'du' it
> must be about 300 M, I made it the 'du' also for the other partitions
> and  it is OK.
> Has anybody a hint for me.
> I logged in with a Knoppix and can't find nothing which explaint the
> lost 30M.

Slack space.  Because files don't take up partial blocks in ext2/3, there
are two different filesizes.  The one seen by du is the number of bytes in
the file.  The one seen by dh is the number of blocks taken up (times the
blocksize, of course).  So, given a blocksize of 1024 bytes, an 800 byte
file takes up 1024 bytes.  A 5 byte file takes up 1024 bytes.

Some of the newer filesystems such as Reiserfs try to fix this by putting
all the little tails in a single block.

--
Marshal Newrock, unemployed Linux user in Lansing, MI
Caution: Product will be hot after heating