On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:05:12 -0700
Anthony Floyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:54:54 +0200
Charlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Salut,
> > here you see my diskspace made with df -h , the problem is my /root > it shows me only 18M available, but with 'du' it must be about 300 > M, I made it the 'du' also for the other partitions and it is OK.
> Has anybody a hint for me.

From the ext3 FAQ (http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html):

Q: 'df' command says partition is full, while 'du' reports free space
Theodore Ts'o, the ext2 developer, said:

The standard cause for this is some user process keeping a deleted
file open.

To find the process in question, heres a trick using "lsof" (do it as
root )

/usr/sbin/lsof -n |grep delete -

HTH, HAND //Spider

Thanks for the lsof, but he ditn't find any big file.
So some more details.

FS is ReiserFs.
I'v got a ' no more Diskspace ' while coping with a wrong destination
That was at a time where the system wasn't mountet correcly.
Had insert a new SCSI disk between scda and scdb, so scdb moved to scdc and after mounting
all this I meant to copy from scdc5 to scdb5 and scda11 had no more diskspace, I could free 20 M from /tmp
After no finding the big one , I shut down and had a look with Knoppix
but could find anything.

Charlie