On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 04:45:00PM -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 16:40, Pupeno wrote:
> >
> > I was just thinking if it wouldn't be a good idea to integrate bittorrent into
> > ebuild so people could use it to download the sources from diferent mirrors
> > and even people could share a bit aliviating mirrors' task... of course, the
> > current way should be available always and bittorrent as an improved way if
> > it is posible (that is, if bittorrent is installed (and enabled ?) and
> > there's a .bittorrent file for the file that's going to be downloaded).
> > Or this is already done and I didn't know ?
> > Thanks.
>
> I talked to the bittorent author about this and he was happy to help,
> and it would be nice to add this functionality. He did point out that
> bittorrent works best with large files like ISOs rather than
> standard-sized archives, though.

IIRC there was some discussion of this previously, and it sounded like
the best way would be to use bittorrent on a per ebuild basis, ie: only
on big packages like openoffice.  I got the impression that the bt
integration was coming sometime soon in the development version, but
have no idea if the dev version is the ~x86, a masked version, or just a
gleam the gentoo-dev teams eye :)

alan

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain