On 29 Sep 2003, at 5:44 am, Stephen Boulet wrote:

On Thursday 25 September 2003 08:38 am, Stroller wrote:

You only have to open specific ports on firewalls if you are serving a
torrent. Others jumping on it have no problem, and are encouraged to
do so,
since they make everyone's download rate go up.

I think you're mistaken. As far as BitTorrent is concerned there should
be no difference between someone "serving" a torrent (IE: the original
individual with the complete file) and other peer with parts to share.
Someone who is NATted or firewalled but who has the complete file may
contribute very little (if at all - I don't know how BT implements
this) to other peers.

I wonder if the fact that I've enabled stateful connection tracking makes a
difference:

iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -i eth1 -s !
$INTERNAL_NET -j ACCEPT

I know Linux is generally a more "clever" NAT router than these cheap little hardware jobbies, but I don't believe this'll make a difference. I'd love to here an argument or analysis of why it should, tho', because my brain hurts right now.

Stroller.