I have had good experiences with ac-sources.  Alan Cox has some nice
acpi patches applied in the latest version which allowed me to enable
almost all of the power management features on my Dell Latitude D600.
If you haven't already check out the official gentoo guide to kernel
sources http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-kernel.xml .