But if I intend to keep a local Gentoo mirror in my little network? (I *do*
have a PC with a large harddisk. Well, even two, actually. ;-)

Then I may need to keep the distfiles on my Gentoo Gateway server, but I
could use and throw away the distfiles on my 'Client' PCs. (*If* the client
PCs could be told to throw them away, that is.)

Biker

                      William Kenworthy

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       gentoo-user List <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>
                      au>                      cc:       (bcc: Gustav
Schaffter/CDS/CG/CAPITAL)
                                               Subject:  Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning up
../distfiles from make.conf
                      23-09-2003 14:20

                      Please respond to

                      gentoo-user

Adding to your list of reasons are:

gcc/glibc upgrades have in the past required a full system recompile
from scratch: this happened for gcc 2.95 to 3.0, 3.1 (and 3.2?) and
looks like it will soon be neccessary with 3.3 if you want to get the
advertised gains.

change of opt flags in make.conf and you then need to recompile the
system to enable them in each lib/binary

a -rn version upgrade by portage usually just patches, or changes the
configuration in the ebuild so the downloaded tarball is reused (e.g.,
setting permissions on some file that escaped the first iteration) -
happens often!

That being said, it would be nice if the glag was 0,1,3,... so you could
keep 0 versions (need space), 1 version (whats installed), 2 (whats
installed, and prev in case you need to roll back).  You could then use
0 for a laptop, and 2 for a server etc.

BillK