--- Stroller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For a binary distro, 4gig should be LOADS of space. For Gentoo it seems
> to be adequate, but kinda tight. You should be able to determine for
> yourself, on one of your other machines, how much space is being
> consumed by the Portage tree & by distfiles. You may be surprised.

> What image are you now downloading & why..? You should be able to do
> quite an adequate install using a Gentoo CD that is even some months
> old!

The CD's that were burnt for me were for a Stage3 GRP Install for a PIII architecture.
The PC that I'm trying to install Gentoo on now, is a PII. So the stage3 PIII images
are
different. No? Yes?

Being that the CD's were meant for a PIII architecture image could I still get away
with using the
GRP/files portion off the install CD's even know that this is a i686 stage3 image
versus a PIII
stage3 image?

I thought that if these CD's were burnt for a stage3 PIII architecture that the
accompanying GRP
files would be for that architecture as well. No? Yes?

Correct me If I'm wrong but I thought that the GRP files were in binary format instead
of source?

When you compile from the source isn't this essentially creating a binary file once
compilation's
finished or am I misunderstanding how Gentoo emerge works?

> Yes! You can delete anything you don't need!
> Start with that 94Meg "stage3.tar.bz2", as soon as you've unpacked it.
> Next time it stalls, delete everything out of distfiles, and try
> `emerge -up world --resume`. It's quite possible that you have the full
> source in distfiles for 2 different versions of Portage, baselayout,
> gcc & gcclib. Once you have deleted the old ones you should have enough
> space to compile the new ones. Also check out the contents of /tmp -
> with copious use of the `du` command you should be able to work out
> for yourself what is consuming space - I am sure that with a 4gig drive
> it will be possible to pare things down enough to get up to date.
>
> Stroller.

Thanks,
Stroller.

Joshua Banks