Joshua Banks wrote:

I ran into a problem when trying to install Gentoo on a 4gig drive.

Background info if needed...
*******************************
The system in question is:
Micronics C400 motherboard; Intel 440BX PHX 4e chipset; DMA/33 support on board.
PII 300MHz; Slot 1 proc.
128M's pc66 SDRAM memory
Intel 8M AGP vid card
What appears to be a 4gig drive. Specifics:
"Western Digital" WD Caviar-35100-Enhanced IDE drive
10672 Cyl * 15 Heads * 63 Spt * 5163.5 MB

*******************************

Relevant HD configuration info:

I configured the drive with the following:
Primary hda1 boot +64M "Ext3"
Primary hda2 swap +128M
Primary hda3 root + the rest of whats left of the drive. "Reiserfs"

*******************************
After downloading the 94M i686 stage3.tar.bz2 file and doing an "emerge sync" per the
directions
at stage 9 of the install guide, I was prompted to make sure to get the latest version
of
"Portage" installed before installing anything else basically.

So before doing a "emerge system" I ran through the rest of the install guide;
rebooted; ejected
CD and now I'm booting off the HD. At this point I login with user name and password.
. /etc/profile
su
and then did a "emerge -u system" and it updated the Portage version and then started
compiling
the files for the baselayout and some others that I can't remember off the top of my
head.

Sorry, I can't remember exactly where/at which file it was compiling but I started to get some
kind of error that I ran out of disk space and it kept repeating this over and over. Since then I Fdisked the drive and started over again and I've configured the drive with the same
settings above. I'm downloading this image right now so I wanted to get an idea of what I need to
do so that this doesn't happen again. Has anyone else ran into this type of issue and if so what do I need to do to overcome my drive
not running out of space?

I thought that this was kindof strange seeing that I haven't even installed Xfree or
any other
window manager yet or any other software for that matter.

Thanks,
JBanks