Peter van Eck wrote:
On Tuesday 30 September 2003 16:54, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

Peter van Eck wrote:

Hi,

I have run into the following problem trying to emerge gnome

emerging gnome came to a halt when emerging the package openjade

My system (Pentium 200 MMX) get exhausted when compiling that package
meaning I can't login on any of the console tty's and looged in shells
seem to be stuck.

I aborted the emerge gnome ( CTRL-C)

I tried installing the binary package (gnome)

This failed with error : package gnome masked. Which it isn't on CD .

I took the brave step to run emerge depclean and now the half of my
system has vanished. Most of the basic OS commands are gone like ls,
rm.....

What should I do ? untar stage 3 is what I think but is that a wise thing
to do ??

thanks in advance for any helpful reply ...

First of all, never, never, never user 'emerge depclean'. In the future, use 'dep-clean -U'. As for fixing your system, try 'emerge -u system'. That should probably merge the missing packages.

I take it 'dep-clean -U' is syntax input parameter for emerge command

No, dep-clean is a separate program that is included with gentoolkit. If you don't already have it installed, try 'emerge gentoolkit'.

--
Andrew Gaffney