On 30 Sep 2003, at 4:08 pm, Mike Williams wrote:

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 16:03, gabriel wrote:
On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 10:54, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
First of all, never, never, never user 'emerge depclean'. In the future,
use 'dep-clean -U'.

maybe a stupid question, but if "emerge depclean" is a bad thing to use,
then why is it there? or at the very least marked with "developer use
only"?

sauron root # emerge depclean

*** WARNING *** : DEPCLEAN CAN SERIOUSLY IMPAIR YOUR SYSTEM. USE CAUTION.
*** WARNING *** : (Cancel: CONTROL-C) -- ALWAYS VERIFY ALL PACKAGES IN THE
*** WARNING *** : CANDIDATE LIST FOR SANITY BEFORE ALLOWING DEPCLEAN TO
*** WARNING *** : UNMERGE ANY PACKAGES.
*** WARNING *** :
*** WARNING *** : USE FLAGS MAY HAVE AN EXTREME EFFECT ON THE OUTPUT.
*** WARNING *** : SOME LIBRARIES MAY BE USED BY PACKAGES BUT ARE NOT
*** WARNING *** : CONSIDERED TO BE A DEPEND DUE TO USE FLAG SETTINGS.
*** WARNING *** :
*** WARNING *** : ... BREAKAGES DUE
*** WARNING *** : TO UNMERGING AN ==IN-USE LIBRARY== MAY BE REPAIRED BY
*** WARNING *** : MERGING *** THE PACKAGE THAT COMPLAINS *** ABOUT THE
*** WARNING *** : MISSING LIBRARY.

I've never had a problem, I don't think, with `emerge -depclean`. But then I'd always -p & read the output first.

The second paragraph quoted above explains why some packages might have a problem, and the last paragraph explains how to fix it if some do. I don't see why this justifies the emphatic "never, never, never use depclean" instruction. if course, I'm not familiar with `dep-clean`, which might be MUCH better for all I know.

Stroller.